Logo header

Falling CreekThe 19th Century At
Falling Creek

The gristmill continued after the death of Archibald Cary. It was improved by adding a headrace from a new dam upstream that provided a more steady water supply than the volatile waters at the falls downstream. In that century, the mill appears to have been built higher by the addition of at least 2 floors, as well as extended westward to fit the new headrace. The headrace flume was replaced by a pipe, the hole for which may still be seen at the mill seat.

Robert Alonzo Brock of the Smithsonian started academic research at the site when he visited in 1876 and published his findings in 1885. He wrote that he found “scoriaie” on the ground proving the site produced iron.












© 2009 - 2013 Falling Creek Ironworks Foundation